Monday, May 28, 2012

Landscape Mondays - Death Valley's Racetrack

death valley racetrack playa
I've seen photos of Death Valley's famous Racetrack Playa - with the unexplained moving rocks.  I've been there a number of times and have a photo of the moving rocks, but when I went back in October of 2011 I wanted something different.  The geography of the Playa is truly unique, it's completely flat and dry nearly every day of the year.  the little cracks form almost hexagon shapes and are about 5 inches in diameter, and they have texture too, I walked around the 3 mile Racetrack looking for a good frame.  As the sun was setting behind the grandstand, the light from the mountains contrasted well with the shadows from the Grandstand, and when shot with just the right lens at just the right time of day, you can get the "stretching" effect of the ground.  Specs: F/22 ISO: 50 1/4 second.