Saturday, December 12, 2009

How to be a Professional Photographer

I get asked a lot how I am making it as a professional photographer in one of the toughest photography markets in the country. Through everything, there are only two simple things to do in order to be a professional photographer. I figured it out a long time ago, and it always makes me wonder why people read books on how to be a good photographer, how to correctly compose a photo, how to edit photos, etc. Those who do those things are wasting their time. If you want to be a professional photographer, it doesn't (really) matter what camera you're shooting with, it doesn't (really) matter where you live or how old you are. If you do two simple things, you can be successful. Here they are:

1. Decide to do it
2. Do it

That's it. Take great pictures, take better care of your customers. I did it, and now I'm the #1 seller of photography inside the Space Needle. Don't cut corners, don't think it's simple. It's the hardest thing I've ever done, I work 80 hours a week on top of going to school full time. But it's worth it because I do what I love. I don't clock in every day and work for someone else's goals. I'm living my dreams and loving it. So all of you who ask me how to be a professional photographer, that's how. Hard work equals success in photography, no other way around it. I want it more than anyone else, and that's why I've been driven this far. It's hard, and you literally have to dedicate your life to it, but there's no other life out there for me.