Saturday, July 11, 2009

Adobe Photoshop CS4 Color Management Settings (Geeky Talk)

Ok, so it's 12:45AM and I've been here for the last 5 hours trying to figure out my Photoshop's color management settings. It was driving me nuts, but I finally got it. I shoot in Adobe RGB on my 5D and 5D Mark II, and I use Windows RGB as my proof setup. Everything has been working just fine, I use the monitor default for the color settings (HP 22" LCD). The colors as seen on the site are perfect, so long as one's monitor is calibrated to the browser correctly. My LCD has been calibrated multiple times with a Spyder3 Pro, so I couldn't figure out why the heck one of the photos I'm working on looks different in both the navigator within photoshop, on my desktop (when saved to the desktop), and all other programs (including ACDsee Pro) and when uploaded to the web. It looked awful, just awful I tell you. I double and triple checked my CS4 Photoshop color management settings, checking mostly the RGB settings both there and in my proof setup to be sure they matched. They did, so I opened up a new document, copied everything I had, pasted it into the new document, and still the same problem. By this time I'm freaking out. Is my computer broken? Is Photoshop misbehaving? I'm a professional, I should know what's going on. I went and brushed my teeth and pondered this predicament. Then it hit me, Photoshop is managing my color settings, it must be. But how? I thought I turned off color management profiles and policies (simply overridden by using Windows RGB and my calibrated monitor). It was when I opened up the new document, I clicked on "advanced options" and found it. Gotcha, biznatch. Thought I'd post this in case anyone else out there had a similar problem.
A small post script: ALWAYS BE CAREFUL WHEN PLAYING AROUND WITH YOUR COLOR MANAGEMENT SETTINGS, BE SURE TO WRITE DOWN YOUR SETTINGS SO IF YOU SCREW SOMETHING UP YOU CAN GO BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS.