Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Motorcycle Wave

The most elusive and complex part of riding a motorcycle. There is a bit of a debate over this very simple but integral part of motorcycling. When riding a motorcycle, when do you wave, when don't you? It is a complex that has vexed me since I joined the motorcycle riding community. It seems like Harley riders only wave to other Harley riders, Goldwing Riders only wave at other Goldwing riders, Crotchrocket riders... well you get the picture. I wave at all motorcyclists, no matter what they're riding. If they don’t wave back, I will assume they didn’t see me instead of assuming they’re a snob or a biker with more money than manners. It seems like most motorcyclists I meet are light-hearted people, with very few exceptions. But rest assured, I’ll wave and if I see you broke down on the side of the road, I’ll stop to help, and if I see you in a gas station, I’ll talk motorcycles with you, and I hope you will do the same for me.

This is, of course, with the exception of scooters. No one waves at scooters.

But just for fun, here are the TOP TEN REASONS WHY GOLD WING RIDERS DON'T WAVE BACK.
10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.

9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.

8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.

7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.

6. The expresso machine just finished.

5. Was actually asleep when the other rider waved.

4. Was in a three-way conference call with stock broker and accessories dealer.

3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.

2. Was simultaineously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.

1. Couldn't find the "Auto Wave Back" button on the dashboard.